The Parish Church of St James

The church is said to be in the ‘early geometric’ style and consisted when built of a chancel, vicars vestry, nave and south aisle.  The only major addition since has been the choir vestry consecrated in 1925 which has now once again undergone a transformation to church office and meeting area.  The church was described at its opening in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent as:

“The church, which will accomodate 400 persons, is built of Dunford Bridge stone with Treeton stone dressings.  The pews are all open, stained and varnished.  The choir stalls are of solid oak and carved.  The church is heated with hot water on a newly invented high pressure system.  The interior is lighted by three large coronas, assisted by side lights from the walls.  The roof is of Westmoreland slate ad a peal of three bells has been added.”

The church now seats approximately 350 as some seating has been removed from the rear of the church to accomodate a display area and children’s play area.  The three bells after certain structural problems were removed but then re-hung but cannot be rung with bell pulls and are rung from and electric clanger controlled within the church.  This allows a three bell roll or a single ‘dong’ used for funerals.

The church hall was added in 1968 and was used for cub scouts, brownies and guides as well as the mothers union meetings.  A Cubs and Scouts group meet in the Church Hall  in addition to our weekly Children’s and Youth groups (FRESH Kids and FRESH Youth).  We also host slimming world, dance classes, keep fit classes, bowling club, war games groups and one off birthday and baptism parties.